Sunday 10 February 2013

Day 41 : blood, sweat and raindrops

My inspiration for today’s photograph was “snake” in honour of the Chinese New Year, now the year of the snake. But where was I going to procure a snake on this rainy, rainy day? It then seemed more sensible to concentrate on the rain, as there's no doubt there is an abundance of material for rain-soaked images today.

And then it was apparent that there was rather a lot of rain on the inside as well. Above my bay window is a balcony and occasionally it has been prone to leak. Today was most definitely “one of those days”. I dashed up to cover the electrical sockets near the window in case they got splashed and in my eagerness somehow knocked over a porcelain bowl which smashed at my feet. Luckily, as nice as the bowl was, I had no particular attachment to it so won't mourn the loss. Then to add to my incredible luck (read - wanton carelessness!) I tripped over the remaining broken chunk of the bowl whilst carefully picking up all the broken shards and rather dramatically sliced a couple of my toes. I thought I'd just knocked my foot, most likely generating a bruise for tomorrow. But glancing down, there seemed to be a small, dark red pool forming where I stood. Oops! I'm sure it’ll be fine but it's sure made a mess. The first dressings soaked through rather quickly and more red footprints appeared as I decided to be inspired by abstract closeups of the raindrops on the window and dripping off the wooden sash.

If I had set forth looking for serpent-ine subjects perhaps I'd still have an intact bowl and foot...but then if had been due to have “one of those days” perhaps the snake would have bitten me!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment