Saturday 13 June 2015

Day 164: view up to Richmond Hill

It's such a long time since I've hung out this side of the river in Richmond. The other side has a vegetarian café, a floating restaurant, Argentinian steaks, crowded bars, swans hoping for bread crusts, boat building under one of the arches, and the grassy slopes of the riverside development. It's fair to say there's more to see and do. But I've meandered through the park around Marble Hill House and drifted down by the river. I'm not the only one walking along the path, there are a handful of cyclists, a couple of fishermen and plenty of dog walkers. On the river there are rowers, larger boats, ducks and some rather noisy seagulls. I think I'm the only one with a camera though.

I am enjoying checking out the vignettes formed by the overhanging tree branches and the abundant reeds. A famous view is up towards Richmond Hill. The larger building is (or perhaps was) the iconic grade II listed Royal Star and Garter Home for the recuperation of servicemen. I've learnt it been sold off for redevelopment and will reopen as 86 flats with most enviable views. Slightly further down the hill is the Petersham Hotel. I've heard they are known for their enthusiastic winter snow scenes, I really must check out their afternoon tea next winter and see it for myself.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment