Friday 15 May 2015

Day 135: May showers

It’s been raining heavily and now it’s over I am drawn to the rather battered and bruised rock roses to see how they fare post-onslaught.



Saturday 16th daisies and purple flowers
Day 136: alley diving

There is a little passageway that leads you to the side entrance of Waitrose. I have walked down there countless times and have found it to be a rich resource for flora and flower photography. One of the reasons for it being a top spot is the vibrant variety of blossom and flowers that hang conveniently in easy reach of a close-up filtered camera lens. Secondly the stone walls elevate lots of smaller flowers into a more optimum position without having to get down on the floor, which would undoubtedly be most annoying for others nipping down this small alley.

After replenishing the fridge and cupboards from Waitrose, I head down there to sate my photography appetite and also, to get a bus back home. Today the daisies surrounded by smaller purple flowers catch my close-up filtered eye. I am fond of daisies; they have a ubiquitous quality couple with an elegant purity.

Sunday 17th spoon
Day 137: Christening spoon revisited
Eight and a half years ago I discovered a craftsman in a Cambridge market that uncovered vintage silverware and reimagined them. We worked on a design for a christening spoon for my fairy goddaughter, KK, born on my birthday in 2006. At my behest he cut a fairy godmother (naturally) surrounded by butterflies and stars, finished with a message and a heart. In honour of her first holy communion I asked my favourite jewellers in Richmond to restore the silver to its long forgotten former shiny glory. I'm delighted with the result, worrying unnecessary that the inscription would be erased and really hope that KK is too.

I have since discovered that the craftsman has gone upmarket somewhat, the Christening spoons he makes now are highly polished and laid in a bespoke box. And understandably his impressive prices now reflect that. How lucky I discovered him before his service became a bit too rich for my blood.


Monday 18th leaf rain
Day 138: crystal sprinkled ivy

More rain, and the ivy caught my eye this time.

Tuesday 19th dramatic sunset
Day 139: a black day for us all

It’s been a dramatic day at work today, restructure, redundancies etcetera, and as if in some accord, the dramatic sunset reflects the mood on the inside outside. It was one of those nights when I take what I think are some nice sunset shots, but am frustrated by the angle and the recalcitrant blinds so zip up ten floors to get a more uninterrupted view of the Thames, the bridges and St. Paul’s. I think I am finished but then less than fifty minutes later the whole atmosphere shifts entirely and I have to rush back up to the top floor to capture the much more appropriate photo of the day.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment